What it is
A one-day skills course on investigating Children's Social Care complaints developed and delivered by experienced LGO complaint handlers. Participants can draw on a fund of knowledge gained from our experience of over four decades of complaints investigation. The course trainer will be familiar with the complaints regulations and with the authority’s complaints procedure.
Who it is for
It is for Children's Social Care complaints officers, managers and other senior officers who investigate complaints at stage two of the statutory complaints procedures, and for independent persons and independent investigators.
What it does
By the end of the course learners will be able to:
- list five things that are important to people when they complain
- describe the complaint handling process
- accurately identify, define and summarise complaints
- list five sources of evidence that are useful for investigations
- investigate a complaint and reach evidence-based conclusions
- identify appropriate and proportionate remedies for injustice
- write a comprehensive decision letter/report
- explain how complaints can be used to drive service improvements
How it is done
The course is interactive using a variety of activities and materials including:
- Participants’ experience of making complaints and our experience of what can go wrong, research findings on what contributes to customer satisfaction and trust in service providers, a troubleshooting exercise to consider the problems staff encounter and possible solutions
- Participants work on a Children's Social Care social case study which is based on a real complaint to the LGO. Using their expertise and drawing on the experience of the trainer, they define, investigate and reach a conclusion on a complaint. The trainer explains the principles applied by the LGO for resolving complaints and this is applied to the case study.
- The trainer offers guidance and tips throughout the day on applying the LGO’s principles of good practice in investigating complaints
Cost: £1,200 for 15 people
Based on authority providing venue and refreshments
Duration: 10am - 4pm
One-day course for a group of up to 15, with one trainer: £1,200 from April 2017.
No extra charge is made for trainer’s travel and expenses. Prices assume you will supply the venue and refreshments for the course.
Authorities with fewer than 15 staff to put forward for training may want to get together with neighbouring authorities to hold a regional LGO training event, and so share the costs.