Local Government Ombudsman
You are here: Home : : Making a complaint : : Who can complain to us

Independent and impartial

Who can complain to us

  • Any member of the public can make a complaint to the Ombudsman.

  • Councillors can help their constituents to make a complaint against a council, but they cannot make a complaint against their own council themselves, except about any services they receive in common with other service users (for example, if they are council tenants, about repairs to their council house).
  • Parish councils cannot complain about bodies the Ombudsman can investigate.
  • Voluntary bodies and advice agencies can complain on behalf of their clients, but they need to get their client’s consent first. This goes for friends and relatives, too.
  • If you employ a professional person, such as a solicitor, to make a complaint on your behalf, we will only ask the council or care provider to pay the fee in exceptional circumstances. This is because people do not usually need a professional to put a complaint to us. However, you may be eligible for help from a solicitor or some advice agencies through the Legal Services Commission’s Legal Help Scheme.

Date Updated: 20/10/11